1. Are bicyclists more likely than drivers or passengers in a car to get injured or killed in an accident?
Bicyclists face a higher risk of a crash-related injury or death than occupants in a motor vehicle according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
2. How many bicyclists die each year from bicycle-motor vehicle accidents?
In 2015, 818 people died in bicycle-motor vehicle accidents, of which, 726 were bicyclists.
3. Who is most likely to be injured or killed on a bicycle?
Males are more likely to be killed or injured on a bicycle than females. Adolescents and adults aged 40 years and older are also more likely to be injured or killed on a bicycle.
4. Does Florida have a high rate of deaths from bicycle-car accidents?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Florida has the highest rate of bicycle-related deaths in the nation. The rate is .57 per 100,000 people and the national average is .23 per 100,000 people.
5. Are bicyclists required to follow traffic laws in Florida?
Yes, according to the Florida Statute 316.2065 bicycles are considered vehicles and the bicyclist is considered the driver. This means that bicyclists must adhere to all traffic laws in the state of Florida.
6. Do bicyclists in Florida have to wear a helmet?
Unlike many other states, Florida does not require bicyclists to wear a helmet unless they are younger than 16 years old.
7. What is the most common injury in a bicycle accident?
Brain injuries are the most common injury sustained in a bicycle-related accident.
8. How much do helmets reduce the risk of a brain injury in a bicycle accident?
Helmets reduce the risk of bicyclists' sustaining a brain injury in an accident by approximately 58 percent, according to the CDC.
9. When is it most dangerous for bicyclists to be on the road?
Research shows that most serious accidents involving bicycles occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
10. What are the most common causes of bicycle-car accidents?
The most common causes of bicycle-car accidents are:
11. What are some tips for bicyclists to avoid an accident?